Skip to main content

The "Do Not Scnorr" List

So I'm thinking of starting a Do-Not-Schnor List (like a do-not-call list, but for schnorers who go house to house and ask for money) for the Baltimore area because it's getting a little ridiculous.

Last night, at 9 pm, my doorbell rang. For some reason I did not process that it was probably a schnorer, so I peaked through the peephole and - for some inexplicable reason - opened the door. On the other side was a man with a beard who spoke to me in Hebrew and explained that he was collecting money. I gave him my "I'm sorry, but I don't give at the door" and he turned on the whole Jewish guilt thing (if Moshe rabbeinu came to your door asking for money, would you refuse him?). I resisted the temptation to give him some money and he offered to give me an envelope so that I could send money to him. I accepted this envelope and was relieved that I did not give him the cash. The important cause was for a Kolel organization in Israel...

The theory of how the schnorers found our house is twofold. One is that, because we are listed in the local Jewish phone book (The Eruv List) we are also on the lists of every schnorer that shows up in the city to collect for their "just" cause. As well, the previous owner of our home seems to have been rather generous to previous schnorers, so many are returning in the hopes of getting more money. Both theories are probably true.

I have discussed this matter with many of my Baltimore friends and most of them accept the reality of the schnorers. I, however, am not comfortable with the idea, and I think I've figured out why:
First, when I was a kid and the schnorers used to come to my house, I was told to answer the door and tell the schnorers that my parents weren't t home or that they were busy. That was model upon which I was raised, and it's stuck with me. To be sure, my parents gave a lot of money to charity --- it was just the door-to-doors that they rebuffed.
Second, I attended a Yeshiva for high school and my education was far from stellar. I generally reject what I was taught, especially the idea that sitting and learning is an ideal and that if you do get a job, paying for someone to learn was the next best thing. I also dislike rabbi-looking people (until I get to know them).
Finally, I do not earn a lot of money and I realize that I, too, could benefit from as many handouts as possible. I give a set amount of charity to organizations that I support and don't have a lot left over for schnorers.
When someone knocks on my door asking for a handout, all of these emotions pass through my mind.

And I know that some of you are judging me, and I get it. Still, I would prefer if total strangers (even a fellow "yid") didn't come up to my door and ask for money. It's weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure