Skip to main content

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving weekend is behind us...

It was my wife's 30th birthday on Friday, so I had arranged for us to go to DC for a couple of nights. Her dad and his wife took care of our daughter for that time. It was the first time we had left her alone since she was born (someone else putting her to bed, and all that). She did just fine, but we were pretty nervous about it. Thankfully, everything went well.

On Wed. night we left Baltimore and headed south to the DC-area. We stopped at Siena's for dinner and then went to an Off-Broadway show in Bethesda called "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change". My wife enjoyed the show, but it was a little too much for me. It passed without incident, and we headed off to our hotel (Capitol Hilton - fancy).

We awoke pretty late on Thursday morning. I had packed some bagels with cream cheese and lox, so we had that for breakfast. We then decided to take a walk over to the White House to check out what was happening (not much). I then tricked my wife into walking towards
Dupont Circle (she has no sense of direction) and surprised her with a "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner at Eli's Deli. We walked back to the hotel room and started to watch a movie, but that darned tryptophan knocked us out for a couple of more hours.
The evening plans started with a trip to Royal Dragon for a Chinese dinner, but after we got there we realized that we weren't hungry or in the mood for the limited buffet that they had available. We ordered something to go and headed back into DC to see a show called "Shear Madness" at the Kennedy Center. The show was quite entertaining. The only complaint was that there was a large group of high school kids there to see the show (they were well-behaved, but I just hate spending my free time around adolescents --- I deal with them EVERYday).

All had gone rather well up to that point. Friday, though, was a whole other experience...

First, I had to move the car by 7 am from the street into a lot. We had scouted some lots the night before and found one not too far from the hotel (a block and a half). When I went to park in the morning, I pulled into the lot and headed down the ramp to park. I was looking for the place to take a ticket, but I couldn't find one. That's when I noticed the attendant coming up behind me. He seemed very pissed. Turns out, I was supposed to stop my car at the top and walk up to his window to grab a ticket and give him my keys. It was pretty early so I just blew off his attitude, gave him my keys and headed back to the hotel (there's more to this story later).
On my way back to the room I decided to drop by the spa to check on an appointment that I had arranged for my wife. I figured it was a simple matter of confirming her facial, massage and manicure, but the guy tells me that his esthetician called in sick and that the facial would have to be canceled. That really bugged me because the only thing my wife really wanted was a facial. Also, the spa has a 24-hour cancellation, and if I would have done the same they would have charged me anyway. So I told the guy that I felt that I should be properly compensated. He offered a free massaged and I countered with a massage and manicure and won (I know this sounds like a good thing, but I would have paid money to avoid the stress altogether).
After the treatment I went to get the car. We had to be back in Baltimore by 1 pm to get my daughter. When I got to the lot, the angry attendant and another were there. The other guy helped me out, but as the car came up the ramp I heard a clicking sound. I checked the tires and, sure enough, there was a screw stuck in my rear left tire. I asked the attendants what had happened and the angry pipes in that it wasn't from them and that I could "go check" to see that there was nothing on the ground in the lot. That really got me steamed and I forced them to fill out a damage report.
With a screw stuck in the tire and 60 miles to go we debated if we should drive the car. We decided to chance it and head for home. We made it almost all the way home. We got off 695 and passed the quarry when we heard the dreaded flapping sound. The tire went flat less than a mile from home. My father-in-law was able to grab our daughter from the babysitter and then picked up my wife from the car while I waited (and waited) for AAA to come change the tire (please don't ask why I didn;t change it on my own). I ended up going home until AAA called to say they had arrived and my wife drove me back to the car. The tire was changed pretty quickly but then the car wouldn't start. Luckily, the mechanic hadn't left and he gave me a jump.

I was happy when Shabbat arrived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure