Skip to main content

It's Hard to Imagine Gd #transtorah

In the Genesis story  there are two moments that recall the creation of human beings. Many Biblical commentators and scholars analyze and compare the two stories. And although I don’t even “reach to their ankles”, I’d like to offer a reading that I heard. 


At the end of the first chapter, on the 6th day of a 6-Day Creation Story, Human is created. The Torah reads:

"וַיִּבְרָ֨א אֱלֹהִ֤ים ׀ אֶת־הָֽאָדָם֙ בְּצַלְמ֔וֹ בְּצֶ֥לֶם אֱלֹהִ֖ים בָּרָ֣א אֹת֑וֹ זָכָ֥ר וּנְקֵבָ֖ה בָּרָ֥א אֹתָֽם." (בראשית א: כז)

“And GD(s) created the AdAm in his/its image; in the image of GD(s) he/it created him/it; Male and Female created them.” (Genesis 1:27)


Here the terms “Male” and “Female” are introduced in the context of B’Tselem Elohim - in the image of GD - which means that GD is both male and female in nature. That is, GD possesses both characteristics/traits that are generally classified as masculine or feminine. And since Human is created in GD’s image, all humans can possess both characteristics/traits that are generally classified as masculine or feminine


In the second chapter, the Torah recounts the creation of the Garden of Eden, and teachers:

וַיֹּאמֶר֮ הָֽאָדָם֒ זֹ֣את הַפַּ֗עַם עֶ֚צֶם מֵֽעֲצָמַ֔י וּבָשָׂ֖ר מִבְּשָׂרִ֑י לְזֹאת֙ יִקָּרֵ֣א אִשָּׁ֔ה כִּ֥י מֵאִ֖ישׁ לֻֽקֳחָה־זֹּֽאת׃ (בראשית ב: כג)

“And the Human said: This instance happened from my bone and my flesh. To this I will call Isha/Woman because she was taken from Ish/Man.” (Genesis 2:23)


In this second instance of Human, the terms “Isha/WoMan” and “Ish/Man” are introduced for the first time. The context of the verse(s) seem(s) to indicate that this creation was more “biological” in nature. Hence, we can posit that WoMan and Man are biological categories, related to the Human ability to reproduce offspring.


Yet in the second account there is no reference to “B’Tselem Elohim”, meaning there isn’t a claim that GD is either WoMan or Man, in a physical sense. We can actually imply that humans are animals when it comes to reproduction (and not GD).


But there is B'Tselem Elohim and that is masculinity and femininity.  


Like GD, humans have both male and female inside.


And sometimes a Man can feel/act more feminine than masculine and sometimes a WoMan can feel/act more masculine than feminine.


Society often recoils at this because it's complicated and hard to understand.


But it’s also difficult and complicated to understand God! 

Sometimes there are contradictions.

Sometimes what seems like a cruel god is actually kindness. 

And sometimes what seem like mercy turns about to be excruciating punishment.


It is difficult for a person to understand because it is not that simple.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Passport, Schlonger and Sandbox

Enticing title, for once, eh? Those subjects pretty much sum up the day, though. Of course, the day started with me taking the 2 and 5/12 year-old to camp. And, of course, she was really excited all morning and in the car ride over. And, of course, she ran ahead of me to get to the front door quickly. And, of course, she cried when it was time for me to go. At least we have a routine. The next move was home to prepare for our trip to the post office to get the baby's passport. The last time we had gone through this process was in Palo Alto, when we had a less-than-memorable experience... Although we remember it quite clearly: The long line, even longer wait and the bureaucratic organized chaos that seemed imported from somewhere in Asia. So I wasn't looking too forward to this date. And I guess that sometimes you fear your fear into happening, because we went to the Post Office with what I thought were all of the documents necessary and, Lo and behold, the birth certificate wa