Skip to main content

The Seven Habits of Holy People

Over these past few weeks I have been reading Steven R. Covey’s The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People as part of my coursework in Jewish educational leadership. Covey’s message and delivery are inspiring, and I highly recommend to this book to anyone and everyone. Its main premise is that leaders are most effective when they are, first and foremost, committed to and guided by principles of a universal and eternal character ethic. These principles enable them to prioritize their goals and forge authentic relationships with their colleagues in a way that cultivates their talents and spurs them toward greatness. Ostensibly intended for a business management audience, The Seven Habits has implications for every individual.

I believe that a similar message regarding the necessity of an eternal character ethic is apparent in the second of this week’s double Torah portion of Achrei Mot / Kedoshim. I have studied Parshat Kedoshim many times and can still recall much of what I learned about it in high school, but Covey’s book revealed a new insight into a particular phrase from the opening of the second of the two portions.

The parsha opens with Gd telling Moshe to tell the Israelites:
קְדשִׁים תִּהְיוּ כִּי קָדוֹשׁ אֲנִי יְהוָה אֱלהֵיכֶם
You should be Kedoshim because Kadosh am I, Hashem your Gd

Rashi explains the concept as follows:
קדושים תהיו – הוו פרושים מן העריות ומן העבירה
Be separated from sexual immorality and from sin

Rashi uses the method of smichut to explain the concept of kedoshim by connecting it to the previous parsha, which speaks of illicit relationships. In Rashi’s reading, limiting one’s sexual promiscuity is the means to the end of being kadosh like Gd.

The Ramban (Nachmanides) picks up on Rashi’s general approach but diverges from it as follows:
…The Torah forbids illicit sexual behavior… and allows sexual activity between man and wife… So, a hedonist still has room to become obsessed with his desires, either with his wife, or many wives… One can run after his desires in a number of things that the Torah does not forbid. But by doing so, he can become a “Navel B’Rishut HaTorah” (a scoundrel within the boundaries of the Torah).

While Rashi sees the limits on sexual behavior as the means to kedusha, Ramban demands more than this. He explains how it is possible for a person to live a life without transgressing any of the Torah’s commandments while still remaining “a scoundrel”. His commentary suggests that in addition to the letter of the law there is also the spirit of the law, and that Gd wants the people to be conscious and committed to both aspects simultaneously.

I would like to offer an additional reading of this phrase that adopts Rashi’s method of smichut and offers a twist on Ramban’s concept of “Navel B’Rishut HaTorah”.

While both Rashi and Ramban look backwards for the context of this pasuk, neither seems to look ahead to the list of laws that follow. These laws, highlighted by the famous phrase of “וְאָהַבְתָּ לְרֵעֲךָ כָּמוֹךָ” (Love thy neighbor as thyself), seem concerned with a person’s relationships to others (including Gd) and develop out of the principles derived from a universal and eternal character ethic.

In this explanation, kedoshim tihiyu acts as the bridge between the previous commandments and those that follow. And it still implores the Israelites to avoid being a Navel B’Rishut HaTorah, as the Navel is someone who merely follows the laws without internalizing their underlying principles. The Torah warns against this and then provides some habits of Its own to guide the individual toward a proper ethical behavior in daily interactions.

In this vein, it is also interesting to note the connection between the Jerusalm Talmud (Nedarim, 30b), which quotes Rabbi Akiva as embracing וְאָהַבְתָּ לְרֵעֲךָ כָּמוֹךָ as one of the greatest of the Torah laws, and a tradition brought by the Shulchan Arukh, based on the Babylonian Talmud, to adopt the customs of a mourner for the first 33 days of the counting of the Omer between Pesach and Shavuot because, “Rabbi Akiva had 12,000 pairs of disciples and all of them died at the same time because they did not treat each other with respect”.

While Rabbi Akiva was a great teacher who produced thousands of brilliant students, these students failed to show the proper respect to one another. As such, all of their Torah and all of their insights became meaningless, as they lacked the principles of a character ethic to guide their interactions with others.

As future teachers, we understand that we need to ensure our content expertise and appropriate pedagogy before walking into the classroom. This parsha and this time of the year remind us that we also have a responsibility to continually work towards developing our own character ethic, as well as that of our students.

Shabbat Shalom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure