Skip to main content

First day in Berlin

I’m a little behind on this whole blog thing, but here’s the latest from my trip:

Monday, June 30, 2008

We arrived at the hotel at about 9 am. Neil and Dvora wanted to take a rest, but since I had slept of the plane, I was raring to go. After freshening up, I headed down to have a bite to eat and then tried to track people down. I started with Eileen (because she had come into the city a few days earlier) and caught her as she was leaving for some sight-seeing. While we had a quick coffee we bumped into Leslie and the three of us set out for an adventure.

Our intention was to head over to the Museum of “Checkpoint Charlie”, which was the border crossing between East and West during the Cold War-era. Eileen got us there successfully by guiding us to the bus stop, helping us buy tickets and letting us know when to get off the bus. When we got there we decided to scout the area around the museum before heading inside. It was a real tourist-y bit, with a fee for everything (have your picture taken with guards, have your passport stamped with an E. Berlin stamp…) but there were some good free photo-ops as well. The museum was pricey (12.5 euro = $17), though, so we decided to forego it and instead proceeded to wander the streets of Berlin.

My initial impressions of Berlin are relative to my experience Vienna. As opposed to the latter, Berlin is a real city (a la the USA) with tall buildings, lots of traffic and a diversity of people. Most of the buildings are post-WWII because the US bombed the city pretty bad during the war. One colleague remarked that it reminded her of a typical Israeli city, only much bigger. Those of you who have been to Israel would probably agree with that statement.

But the city is full of history, having been ground zero for the Holocaust and the Cold War, etc. And we saw a whole bunch of that as we walked the streets and tried to match up some of the buildings with those described in the various guidebooks that we carried with us.

One unique experience that I had (and was hoping to have) was at the Bebelsplatz, which is where the Nazis held a huge bonfire to burn books that they deemed “subversive”. The memorial to the event is a window that looks down (underground) into a room of empty bookshelves (symbolizes/commemorate the lost books). But what really struck me was that as I turned to photograph the area a young person (German?) came up to me and tried to explain (in German?) the significance of the spot. And to do so he pointed to the book he was holding (which looked like – and I assumed – was a sourcebook on the Holocaust) and he excitedly pointed to the picture of the book-burning that he had in the book. And what I processed in my mind (and this is what really struck me) was that here was a young German who was walking around with a sourcebook about the rise of Nazism in Germany and was actually visiting the sites where the major historical events took place! To me, that’s very powerful. To think that no matter what happens, Berliners still have to live in the same place where the instigators/perpetrators of the Holocaust’s horrific crimes rose to power and implemented their policies – that’s got to be tough.

We moved on from this area and hopped on a bus to head towards Brandenburg Gate. This was the spot where “The Wall” first went up. But we were disappointed when we got there because we could not get through to see the gate. We wrote it off to bad luck and decided to head over to see the Reichstag (German parliament), and as we were taking in the scene we heard shouting and cheering coming from the near distance. We all commented on the eeriness of this experience (cheering Germans is something that most Jews still cringe at when they stand outside the Reichstag in Berlin) until we realized that the cheers were coming from the area of the Brandenburg Gate. It was then that we realized that there was indeed a rally going on, but it was to celebrate the return of the German soccer team, which had unexpectedly made it to the finals of the European Cup (they lost to Spain, 1 – 0). Once this was processed we decided to go check out the celebrations. Unfortunately we were too late to get into the festivities and too tired to wait for the imminent parade that would pass our way, so we hopped on the 200 bus and headed back to the hotel.

We got to rest up for a few hours before the program officially opened with a dinner at the hotel. Dinner was a chance for us to meet our European colleagues and hear about the progress of Ed’s program thus far. I met the director of the Wannsee House Museum, which is a Holocaust education museum. The Wannsee House was the site where the Nazis officially implemented the Final Solution. Eichmann was the note-taker at this meeting which estimated the number of Jews living in Nazi-occupied territories and laid out the plan for their extermination. The group goes there on Sunday but I will not be attending because I’m heading back to NYC for the COJS conference.

Most of the Centropa participants were jet-lagged and ready for bed after dinner. I. however, had slept for the majority of the flight over here, so I still had some energy left for a little exploring. When some of the European teachers said that they were going to go out for a beer, I decided to tag along. We shared a beer at an area pub and got to know each other a little bit. It was a good experience. Last year I spent most of the time connecting with the core group of Centropa teachers, so I’m making an effort to do the same with the EU participants.

Tomorrow is the real start to the program.

Comments

Chandler Pierce said…
A- Keep up the good work

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure