Skip to main content

Best laid plans

So I had intended for this to be a daily blog documenting my time as a student-teacher. But things have been so hectic and I've been having a difficult time focusing long enough on my thoughts to write about them.
And now two weeks have passed.
So I'm at least going to try reflect for a bit right now, stream-of-thought style.
----
I just walked into the house and it is empty. I am not sure if my hosts will be here for Shabbat. And I am pretty sure that I didn't confirm with them my intentions to spend Shabbat with them. So I'm not certain that I will have any food this weekend. And if they do come back in time for Shabbat (there is an hour and a half to go) it's going to be awkward that I didn't say anything earlier in the week about my plans. Lose, lose, eh?
Personally, I hope I have the house to myself. I need some time to decompress and relax without having anyone else in my immediate vicinity.
That's been one of the most draining parts of this experience - always being on.
---
School was ok today, but my last class kinda sucked. It's the last period of the day on a Friday, which is a challenge with a group of Juniors. I don't know all of their names yet, as this was only the second time teaching this particular class. And I also haven't experienced the materials sufficiently to make them my own, nor am I certain that I am allowed to do so. I was also just off my game in general, as my of questions were met with blank stares, students were gossiping amongst themselves and the flow was absent.
That's probably because I was in Baltimore for Purim Wednesday/Thursday, which was a mixed experience. It started out swimmingly but almost ended disastrously. I had ordered a cab to take me to the airport for 6 pm but it did not show. And when I called the company, they were unsure that one could show up at all. So I STRESSED TO THE MAX and made a bunch of phone calls to a bunch of people in the middle of their Purim meals to fish for a ride to the airport. And one friend was able to call a different company for me and arranged for a car that would only take cash. So I ran to the ATM (still not sure why I didn't take the car) and when I came back there was a cab there. And I got in and got to the airport with enough time to make my flight.
But by the time I got to the airport I was SO STRESSED OUT that I was exhausted. I was nauseous and tired and my muscles ached. And when I woke up this morning I really didn't want to get out of bed. But I did and I taught three classes and the day was ok but the last class kinda sucked.
----
Update: One hour until Shabbat and my hosts are still not here. But I did notice a freshly-baked chocolate cake on the counter, so maybe they are coming 'round again today.
----
My work is really cut out for me this weekend. I really, really, really want to plan my lessons through the end of my time here. I need to look at all of the material that I plan on getting through and UbDing my way through my remaining classes. And then I want to experiment with some active assessments and generally crazy ideas for the classroom so that I can have fun and be myself a bit more.
----
One of my mentors' most accurate critiques is that I take too much time to get through things that shouldn't take so much time. He's referring to my propensity for talkiness, and I cannot deny the validity of this critique. I admit this to him freely, so now he seems to watch for it and makes sure that he mentions it when we debrief the class.
----
I also have to check in on my Hebrew College course and complete some work there. It's hard to balance those obligations and I worry that next year it's going to get lost in the shuffle of work and family. I know that it will come at the expense of lazing around (I like to laze). I like to think that I will be disciplined enough to keep it up and complete the degree on time. Let's hope that holds true.
----
The job search has been on my mind as well. I have a whole list of wants for my next position but I haven't found a place that has them all. Part of the reason is because my wish-list is so extensive that such a place may not exist and, if it did, competition would be stiff. But a larger factor is my lack of a day school network to give me access to inside information about schools and positions (Seems that the Jewish Ed. world doesn't function at full capacity online; rather it is an insider culture - a rich get richer, if you would). I am going to dinner at KRM's next week and I hope that she can help to develop that network for me.
----
And did I mention how much I miss my family? Because I do - a lot. Especially on the weekends. Because due to the time difference, I can't speak to them after Thursday evening until Sunday morning. And there isn't much distraction over Shabbat aside from shul and my host family. And I need to be "on" for them.
It's been two weeks now, which is a new record for us being apart. And there are still two weeks to go. We're only half way but I'm ready to pay the penalty and jump on a plane back to Israel.
----
Update: 30 minute countdown just started and the jig is up as the man of the house just pulled into the driveway. Sigh. Back to the show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure