Skip to main content

February 2012

The date is the best title because it's been ages since the last blog post.

I am now in Israel, a member of the Pardes Educators Program, living with the wife and kids in a two bedroom apartment in Talpiot.

Last night the pipe under the sink calcified and broke and I awoke this morning to a flooded floor and hours of spoon-jeh.

But this year has been a blessing, as I have become re-acquainted with the learning of my youth to enjoy it and aim to comprehend it in a pedagogic conception.

I want to get a few thoughts out quickly. I will try to come back to them later and write more (although, historically...)

"Where I See Myself in Five Years"
My hope is to move forward in the circles of Jewish education.
I aim to employ 21st century pedagogy to the texts and traditions of Judaism in the hopes of uniting the Jewish people in conversation regarding them.
Whilst text study has been divisive at certain points in our history, it has always been a constant. I believe that it is our most assured safeguard for moving forward into the future as a people.

"Orthodox Zionism"
I recently spoke to a Canadian-Israeli friend and I mentioned this concept to him.
Today in Jewish Ed., Israel-Zionism is a sacred cow, largely because it is perceived as the sole uniting factor of the community.
S0 we educate to an ideal when teaching about Israel. We avoid issues that exist with and within Israel, choosing instead to focus on a narrative that too often presents Israel-Zionism as the Jews it came to rescue: brilliant - sure - but victims, desperate for our assistance in fending off wave after wave of attack. We stick to the same narrative of our parents, seemingly beginning with the Holocaust and ending in 1967.
But we need to start educating to a reality. We need to recognize that our kids are graduating day schools with a limited scope of reality-Israel, going to a high school or college campus and being confronted with an Israel that is at odds with their American values. More and more students are becoming apathetic regarding Israel and a vocal minority are turning away completely.
We need to give our kids access to these issues before they hear about them elsewhere, and we need to let them judge for themselves. We cannot create and enforce dogmatic concepts regarding Israel because blind faith is not what was Zionism is all about.
And, anyway, our kids are not buying it.

"Reverse Shlichut"
I think that Israel and the US are growing apart, and that Jews are following suit. I fear that, eventually, we're all going to have to choose.
And I think one solution is to employ a type of shlichut in which American Jews come to Israel to present a legiitmate American Judaism to the Israeli people.
Because while the Sochnut sends its envoys to the Diaspora to present Israeli Jewishness, there is never a thought of reciprocation. One-way relationships are not healthy.

That's all for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure