Skip to main content

Made it

We made it to Israel last night. We decided in the summer time that we would go for Sukkot and I figured that we should spend Yom Kippur here as well (they change the clocks in Israel based on YK; the fast is just as long but ends by 6 pm).
We flew Air France and it was a decent experience. My father-in-law and NR drove us to Dulles (in record time) for our flight to Paris. There was extra room on the flight but we all had a hard time sleeping.
When we got to Paris we were all set to hop on the RER and head into the city but we couldn't figure out what they had done with our stroller. Turns out that when they took it from us at the gate they checked it through to Tel Aviv! I was pretty annoyed as Elana was tired and we weren't about to carry her through Paris. But the woman at baggage claim managed to track it down for us and the problem was solved (although we did lose an hour of free time).
Turns out, that wasn't such a bad thing... we were so tired that walking in Paris, even with the stroller, was so tiring. We went to the Marais and got some food (thanks for the advice from DK) and then just walked. We saw Notre Dame and the river, but the Eifel Tower was barely visibe from where we were and too far away to get there. We were quite content to be back at the airport a couple of hours later.
The final leg was a full flight so Elana slept on me and Tikki. The guy next to me was nice but he kept emitting a nauseas smell every few minutes. I managed to sleep a bit, though, and we got to TA on time (We were so stiff by the end of the flight).
WELCOME TO ISRAEL!
Customs was short and painless and our bags came through without a problem... but the car seat was still not there. I was told that it would come through on a special conveyor belt so we went to wait there. When nothing happened for a few minutes I peaked down the conveyor belt... and saw our car seat just sitting there. Of course, there was no one around so I went to the people at Lost Baggage and asked them to help. After a whole drei and a stubborn front on my part, they got a guy to come and turn on the belt. He couldn't understand why I was upset and seemed impatient... WELCOME TO ISRAEL!
Then we went to get a cab. At first there was driver in the terminal. He wanted 180 shek for the ride to Modiin, so, feeling like we were getting ripped off, we went to the Taxi stand. The driver we got there welcomed us to his car and then just stared at our cart before I asked him to help us load up (we also had to install the car seat, which seemed to surprise him). I asked him for a price and he looked it up -- 120 shek... WELCOME TO ISRAEL!
The he asked if I needed a receipt and I said yes so he said that he would have to put it on the meter. I wasn't too happy with this, especially because he didn't seem to know the Modiin area at all. We argued for a bit and then he said that I would only have to pay the meter or 120, whichever is cheapest... WELCOME TO ISRAEL!
We got to my sister's at 1 am and as I was schlepping the bags up the stairs I twisted my back. I woke up at 6 am this morning feeling like crap. I woke up my sister and told her that I needed to go to the hospital because I was dehydrated. We held off for a bit and I drank 2 liters of Petel, throwing up every once in a while - slept for a bit more and now I'm feeling OK.
Tonight is Yom Kippur. I hope that all will be OK.
The best of luck to everyone for a good ending!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure