Skip to main content

The Tefilah Quagmire

I've been watching documentaries about Vietnam again.
But this time it's different because, not two weeks ago, I sat through a presentation about Tefilah (prayer) in Jewish day schools.
The first slide of the presentation had a quote that went something like this: 'Tefilah: The Vietnam of Jewish education".
So as I'm watching these documentaries, I'm thinking about the language of Vietnam as a descriptive for the situation of Tefilah in today's day schools: We follow a failed strategy that is leaving behind a staggering body count. Our leaders are far away from the battlefield, issuing orders that are ideological and political, but rarely rational. Soon we begin to talk about our task as "policing" and it seems that no one back home actually supports what we're doing. It's tearing vital relationships apart.
I like this language.
But then I'm not certain that it's appropriate because Vietnam is Vietnam and not a metaphor. Lives affected by that experience are still being lived and only they can grant that privilege.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure ...

Rabbi Marcus

My sister called this morning and left a message telling me that Rabbi Marcus passed away. I hadn't seen the man in quite some time (It's been a while since I've been to Toronto, even longer since I've been to Bnai Torah and almost forever since I last spoke with the rabbi - probably at my aufruf a few years back). I did know that he was sick, but I never really process these things well (out of sight, out of mind?). And as inevitable as the news was for some, it really caught me off guard. The first time I met the rabbi I was a five year-old kindergarten student at Eitz Chaim. Over the course of the year we had been learning our Aleph Bet , earning stars for every letter that we covered along the way. I, of course, had procrastinated for most of the year so that, by the end of the year, I had only gotten as far as the fifth or sixth letter (not for lack of knowledge, mind you). With time running out, I tried to corner my teachers to have them listen to me run through a...

The New Year

This is my first blog of the new year. Lots has happened since the last entry. Winter break came and went, we paid a visit to the family in Toronto, I (basically) finished my "synagogue project" and school has resumed and we're back in full swing. Here's a more detailed recap of the last couple of weeks: I was really looking forward to winter break. With it being a Jewish leap year, we don't get another break (Pesach) for a long, long time. Unfortunately, plans fell apart pretty quickly. First, my little brother and his family were supposed to come down to Baltimore for the first part of the break. Unfortunately that plan never came to fruition because, the night before they were supposed to leave, they couldn't find their passports. I mention this only because my brother was worried that I would. In reality, though, I had a ton of work waiting for me with this project that I had to complete for a program that I attended in the summer. Most of my vacation was ...