Skip to main content

Emergency Babysitting

My wife called me this morning at 8:45 am (about 10 minutes before class) to tell me that our babysitter hurt her back and could not watch our daughter for the day. She also told me that she had an all-morning meeting at her job, so she couldn't take her in with her to her place of work.

(Side note: Normally my cell phone does not work in the school building, but every once in a while my wife manages to get through to me and every time it seems to be something important/pressing)

Thinking on my feet, I made some calculations and decided that she should drop my daughter off at the school and I would watch her for the day. I only had two classes to teach and I already knew that my first-period class was going to be working on an in-class assignment (which would give me some time to plan for my third-period class).

I informed my class (freshmen) that she would be coming in warned them that, under no circumstances should they look at or talk to my daughter while she was in the classroom (she doesn't really do well with new people). I explained to them their assignments and they got to work even before my daughter arrived (they actually did really with the situation and were very mature and understanding about it).

My daughter arrived at 9:10 am and proceeded to spend her time coloring and watching Barney on YouTube (which, amazingly, was still unblocked since the release of Brandon's "Chinese Food on Christmas"). The enabled me to wander around the classroom helping students with any questions that they might have had, and the class ran as it probably would have had she not been there.

When that class was over (10 am) I had a one hour break to prep for the next clas. We headed down to the preschool area and got some books, puzzles and crayons to entertain Elana and keep her bust. I loaded them all into my laptop cart (finally found a use for it), put Elana on top and wheeled around the school in search of Laura. She was able to hook me up with a limited-teaching lesson plan that I then gave to my junior class. Although they struggled a little more than the freshmen at keeping their focus, they did an admirable job and I thanked them for their cooperation.

Since that was my last class of the day, I was able to leave school early (12:25 pm). I called my wife and we met up at the Bistro for lunch. Unfortunately, by the time I got there we only had about 20 minutes to eat because my daughter had a doctor's appointment at 1 pm. I didn't have to leave my wife alone, though, because Ila walked in with Dasi a few minutes before, so my wife just joined them.

The doctor's visit was pretty quick. It was her 2 year check up (and, for the first time that I can remember - she didn't have an ear infection) so things went pretty fast. My daughter, of course, cried through the whole thing (despite the fact that she had watched the Barney video "The Doctor is In" numerous times that morning and in the preceding weeks in anticipation of this visit), but was placated with promises of lollipops, chips and stickers.

We got home at 2:30 pm and I stuck her in for a nap.

She's sleeping right now.

My wife said that I did a good job and that I would get to relax tonight.

Comments

Deborah Langer said…
hello. loved catching up on your blog. so full of suspense - did you get to relax?

Sorry we missed you in Toronto... maybe our paths will cross again in TO or here in the holyland! Or we could all become misphachot at Stone.. ya never know.

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Las Vegas

The title for this post is an analogy that says it all...   Much like Vegas, JDSs present their illusion as a reality, enticing people to risk their hard earned money on the promise that their bet will pay dividends. In reality, the house always wins and what happens at a JDS stays at the JDS.   It is for this final reason that I’ve decided to share this post.   Too often, when I share with people that I am leaving the JDS world they talk about how important my work is to the Jewish people and attempt to dissuade me from my decision. Unfortunately, many of these people have no idea what it means to be a day school educator. In this post, I will focus only on the financial aspect of being a JDS teacher… Last year I made $60K teaching six classes at a local JDS. Two of my children attended the school so, while I received the maximum financial aid allowed by the school’s bylaws (40%), about $25k went straight back to the school. In opting for the “subsidized” benefits offered by the schoo

More than me

It's the end of the week and I'm glad it's over. Being a teacher, parent and homeowner is stressful at times, so it's nice to not have to worry about one of those responsibilities for a little while. I haven't really written about my family at all since I've started this blog. I guess it's only fair to mention them every once in a while... My wife started working about a month ago. We realized that the single-income family thing wasn't exactly working for us so she applied and got a full-time job that started right after we got back from Israel. This changed a lot about our daily routine. For my wife, it meant rolling out of bed before 9 am and not having most of the day to take care of things around the house. As for me, I now pick up my daughter from the babysitter and watch her (alone!) for about an hour or so unitl mom gets home. I, of course, am supposed to be helping out more around the house to make things easier, but I've been a lazy ass thes

Try, try again

It's been a while since my last blog (the Israel trip) and, of course, a lot has happened since then. But it would take me too long to go back and recap the past month, so I'll just take it from the top. Israel expenses keep adding up: I was sick to my stomach for a lot of the time that I was in Israel. When I got back I went to see a GI and he ordered an endoscopy. Needless to say, these things aren't free. And since I got sick on the way to Israel, I decided to add it to the expense of the Israel trip (it's all the same back account, but mentally, it helps). Then came the credit card bills. Well, that was a bit of a shock. When it's on the card, you really don't feel it. Our most expensive days were those "second days" that we opted out of. Maybe G-d is punishing me for keeping only one day of Chag (or maybe I was just too irresponsible with my money). I just remind myself that spending money in Israel is a Mitzvah. Finally, despite trying to figure